No one complains when Shakespeare makes an all male cast to tell a story about brotherhood amongst men but Square Enix does the same thing and they’re sexist? Go play Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns if you need a game about an empowering woman.
Y’all are dumb and need to read some Shakespeare.
This, thank you.
1) Shakespeare penned his plays late 16th-early 17th century, Square Enix produces their games in the late 20th-early 21st centuries. Generally it’s common sense to not go “someone in a less socially evolved era did this, why can’t our videogames/movies/books today!?” Like. Pretty sure all of tumblr exists to explain to all of us why that is not the smartest of thinking.
2) Every preceding FF game has always been (relatively) good about cast diversity, it’s not unreasonable nor is it unprecedented to expect it out of FF15. Call me crazy but suddenly creating an all-dude cast after years and history of not having all-dude games kind of is a step backward.
3) FF13 is the first game after six FF games to feature a female protagonist. “This game has your female hero character, go play THAT” kind of treats that game trilogy as a consolation prize. And this is without delving into how the sequel games were progressively made with male-gaze fanservice in mind.
4) I mean yeah, go read Shakespeare, that’s always good way to spend one’s time. Not going to argue that one.
How to spot a fake geek guy:
- says robin is useless
- says aquaman is useless
- worships batman bc batman is invincible
- doesn’t “understand” superman because he’s not relatable or interesting
- makes “hero vs hero” posts
- probably smells like axe
fandom hates characters of colour having their own narrative, having their own character arc and development.
fandom hates it when poc are the heroes for once, and don’t fit into any stereotype, or any racist trope.
fandom hates scott mccall, princess tiana, skye and melinda may whilst simultaneously raising their white friend to levels of adoration and constant celebration. see: stiles stilinski, charlotte la bouff and jemma simmons.
fandom always find an moc, most of the time, black men, to be suspicious of. see: alan deaton, sam wilson, nick fury, antoine triplett. and these are just a few of the countless others.
fandom hates it when woc are paired up with white men on anything. ‘why can’t they just be friends?’ ‘she’s a strong female character, why does she need a relationship?’ they all say without realising that woc are severely underrepresented and we are rarely cast as lead roles. see: abbie mills, mako mori, reboot!uhura, gwen from merlin and joan watson. we need to note that most of the time this occurs exclusively to black women. fandom stamps a ‘brotp’ label on their forehead and desexualises them.
fandom makes countless photosets ‘celebrating female characters’ but all of these characters are white.
fandom loves m/m slash but don’t give a shit about it if it involves moc. for them, it is exclusively for cishet white guys. see: more fics for ‘stony’ than tony/rhodey despite the fact that rhodey and tony have known each other longer, have a close connection and are best friends.
Erza Scarlet is my favorite because she’s a badass warrior. Yup, that’s about it. I mean, Fairy Tail is okay as a shounen but the amount of fanservice it gives annoys me soooo much. I don’t need to see so much boobs and panty shots, thanks.
TGS 2014 - Final Fantasy XV trailer.
"It’s been a long time coming… Almost there."
This trailer comes out alongside the news that Nomura’s officially stepped down as director of FFXV to focus on other projects — among them, KHIII.
this trailer totally sold it for me. I haven’t been this excited for a final fantasy in ages.
good god this is like everything we imagined it was supposed to look like when we were playing the psx games
and i am seeing some HEAVY influence from 8 here, which makes me immeasurably happy
it’s weird seeing no playable female characters, but i’m hoping they’re just not ready to be shown yet
Final Road Trip Fantasy
Get Him To The Crystals
ONE EPISODE LEFT somebody wipe my tears